Career Guide: Physical Therapist Assistants and Aides

Career Guide: Physical Therapist Assistants and Aides

Did you know that the healthcare field is one of the fastest-growing sectors in the US? America’s demand for trained health professionals has increased by an average of 21% in the past decade. Demand for allied healthcare professionals, in particular, has increased by one-third since 1999. Jobs in this field currently make up 60% of all healthcare positions, while the other 40% are distributed between medicine, nursing, and pharmacy. Allied healthcare jobs have lower educational requirements (compared to medicine, for example), and they open up pathways to many opportunities for advancement. Even better: your paychecks are also expected to grow over the years. How do we know all this? Well, you can trust the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Those guys know their numbers! Physical Therapist Assistants and Aides Percent change in employment, projected 2016-26 Physical therapist assistants 31% Physical therapist assistants and aides 30% Occupational therapy and physical therapist assistants and aides 30% Physical therapist aides 29% Total, all occupations 7% Note: All Occupations includes all occupations in the U.S. Economy. Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Employment Projections program Employment of physical therapist assistants is projected to grow 31 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. Employment of physical therapist aides is projected to grow 29 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. Demand for physical therapy is expected to increase in response to the health needs of an aging population, particularly the large baby-boom generation. This group is staying more active later in life than previous generations did. However, many baby boomers also are... Read More
A Pharmacy Technician Career

A Pharmacy Technician Career

Pharmacy technicians help licensed pharmacists dispense prescription medication to customers or other health professionals. To find a great job as pharmacy tech, you should have strong knowledge in areas such as pharmaceutical terminology, proper drug administration, drug classifications, and pharmacy management. Education requirements: Most states regulate pharmacy technicians. The process may require applicants to pass an exam or complete a formal education or Pharmacy Technician training program. Mean annual salary: $32,170 Mean hourly wage: $15.47 Employment: 398,390 jobs Highest levels of employment in: Pharmacies/drugstores, health and personal care stores (192,290 jobs) Expected growth: 9% from 2014 to 2024 Top-paying industry: Federal executive branch (mean salary $42,710) Chain pharmacy Approximately 70% of the 350,000 pharmacy technicians in the United States are employed in the retail setting. Pharmacy technicians in this setting help dispense approximately 2.5 billion prescriptions per year. Responsibilities for chain pharmacy technicians include processing customer prescription data, filling and labeling medications, managing inventory, answering phone calls, dealing with insurance companies, and distributing medications to customers. In some states, technicians may be responsible for taking new and refill prescription orders over the phone and transferring prescriptions between pharmacies. Independent pharmacy Independent pharmacies represent approximately 40% of all community pharmacies in the United States and employee thousands of pharmacy technicians nationwide. Responsibilities are similar to those in the chain setting, but may also include compounding, filling specialty packaging, and delivering medications directly to patients. Hospital pharmacy Approximately 17% of all pharmacy technicians work in a hospital setting. Responsibilities include interpreting written prescription orders, performing pharmacy calculations, compounding medications, refilling automated medication dispensers, medication reconciliation, and delivering medications to patients within... Read More